Friday, November 15, 2013

Status in Society

Every society has some type of social structure.  For example, in American society, our social structure is highly based on economics because everything revolves around money in America.  Everything.  This could potentially be one reason gambling is so prevalent with lower-income individuals - they want to advance within the social hierarchy.  Fantasy Football even creates a social structure within certain groups of friends.

My team, "Rally the Wagons," is doing fairly well in my all-family Fantasy Football league.  I'm 9-1 with that one loss being a result of players severely under-performing for that particular week - I'm looking at you, A.J. Green!


I'm really tearing things up and as a result, I've found more family members asking me for advice.  I didn't think of it much, at first, but it got a little crazy when we started discussing the payouts for the League.

Normally, the payouts should have been set out before the actual draft at my grandmother's house.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen since half the League showed up an hour late.  We were all pressed for time and went straight into the draft without discussing payouts.

I am the second-youngest participant in the League and normally, in my family, we ask the older guys for their input.  Some of my uncles are upwards of 50 years (young!) and have dealt with this Fantasy League well before I joined.  Yet, my opinion is constantly being asked for and I wondered why.

So, I asked my cousin who just recently celebrated his 30th birthday why he cared what I thought.  He replied, "You're nine-and-one, so you're like Jesus, right now."  He jokes around a lot - my family doesn't consider my opinion to be the word of God - it's a clear hyperbole.  The fact is, simply because I'm doing well in Fantasy Football, my opinion matters more.

Uncle Ken, the senior member of the League who serves as the Commissioner, actually wanted my opinion on the payouts.  (In return for some friendly advice on WR options on free agency)  Uncle Ken sits at 3-7.


So, naturally, I advocated that the team with the best regular season finish should receive $20 - the initial entry fee into the League - and that this should continue for as long as the League exists.  It serves my best interest, right now, plus it's just unfair that someone could do so well and not at the very least be rewarded with, essentially free entry into next year's League.  Furthermore, it's possible to be knocked out after the first week bye in the playoff tournament simply because your players had an off week.  It makes sense, right?

Another thing to think about... if I wasn't doing so well, would my opinion be as valued as it currently is?  This is basically how news outlets function in society.  The people at the top make the decisions based on their values.  The executives make the decisions - they decide the payout, the rules, who is allowed in... much like a Fantasy Football League is run.  Fantasy Football is a perfect example of a corporation within American society.

No comments:

Post a Comment